Search

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Welcome to the ProtectMyID Blog

Lessons and stories from the front lines of fighting identity theft.

In the News: Target Credit Card Breach – What it Means for You

Jan 02

The recent Target credit card breach has taken a little merry out of this holiday season. According to Target, information including the card holder’s name, credit card number, security code and expiration date for 40 million customers was compromised. Now, impacted customers are asking valid questions about how they can protect themselves. Here are the top questions being asked, and how you should proceed if your credit card information might be at risk.

fraud_alert_warning

How can I protect myself?

If you used a debit or credit card at Target between November 27, 2013 and December 15, 2013, check the card’s account online and look for transactions that aren’t yours. If you find fraudulent transactions, contact the customer service number on the card immediately and take steps to contest the charges and get a new credit card issued.

Even if everything is in order, you need to monitor that card’s activity very closely in the coming months. If you can access your statement online, checking several times a month isn’t too often in this case, and will help you identify fraudulent activity early and minimize the personal impact of the credit card breach.  You can also contact the customer service number on the back of the card and ask if they are putting any special alerts on the cards that are at risk.

Do I need to close my credit card?

Canceling the card and requesting a new one is another way to avoid credit fraud on that card. But it’s a step that comes with inconveniences, which could be magnified by the activity of the holidays. Make sure that any travel you have booked is not tied to the payment method, and keep in mind that it may be more difficult to make returns if the original payment method has been cancelled. Before you make the decision to cancel your card, call the customer service number on the card and ask the representative if your credit card company has any general recommendations for consumers impacted by the Target credit card breach.

While we recommend regular vigilance of your personal credit profile in normal circumstances, if your information has been compromised in a data breach, you’ll want to take extra care to make sure no one is using your credit without your knowledge. Regularly checking the activity of your personal financial accounts and checking your credit report are important personal protection steps. And, if you want someone to keep an eye out for you on your behalf, so that you’re not feeling vulnerable at the next, unanticipated data breach, enrolling in ProtectMyID offers a proactive, comprehensive solution, complete with Identity Theft resolution agents.

This article is provided for general guidance and information. It is not intended as, nor should it be construed to be, legal, financial or other professional advice. Please consult with your attorney or financial advisor to discuss any legal or financial issues involved with credit decisions.

Published by permission from ConsumerInfo.com, Inc.  © 2013 ConsumerInfo.com, Inc.  All rights reserved.

102 Comments Add your comment

1. annette
    Jan 13 at 08:50

i have a target code for free one year identity theft monitoring how do i use it and get going on being monitored

Here’s how to register:
    1. Visit Creditmonitoring.target.com to request an activation code. Guests will be required to submit their name and an email address. After submitting their information, Target will email guests within 72 hours with their unique activation code and directions for how to enroll in ProtectMyID. Guests should look for this email and check that it does not end up in a “junk” mailbox. Emails collected during this process will only be used for the purpose of sending an activation code for free credit monitoring.
    2. After guests receive their activation code from Target, they may visit http://www.protectmyid.com/target and use the code to start the enrollment process. It will be important to verify the code entered matches the notification received from Target. Also, guests must be sure to click the red “Click to Redeem Your Activation Code” button (or use the “ENTER” key).
    3. Enroll in ProtectMyID. Guests will need to provide Experian with personal information such as name, address, date of birth and social security number. Experian asks for personal information so that identities can be verified during the registration process and future log-ins. This is strictly a security measure to ensure no one else, including Target, will have access to that information.

Source: http://www.abullseyeview.com/2014/01/target-experian-protectmyid-credit-monitoring/

lois mcneill Reply:

I entered all the info on protectmyid. How do I know if it was accepted. Said to click on a submit button below, but there was no button?

Becky Reply:

Thanks for the feedback. Please see our previous reply to your other comment.

2. Ann Thompson
    Jan 14 at 09:47

I have the activation code, but need to know how to proceed. I keep getting sites to get the activation code.

Here’s how to register:

3. minda
    Jan 17 at 08:34

should have link to TARGET offer

Becky Reply:

That’s great feedback. We’ll add it today.

Here’s how to register:

4. Betsy Brewer
    Jan 18 at 10:14

Cannot find where to enter code. keep getting the Experian home page but no place for activation code for target.

Becky Reply:

Consumers can register for free credit monitoring at creditmonitoring.target.com.

They will then receive an email from Target providing the unique activation code and will have until April 30 to visit http://www.protectmyid.com/target and register for one year of free credit monitoring.

5. Bob Hartman
    Jan 18 at 20:19

Now I have something else to worry about all because I shopped at TARGET. Target was careless with my personal information and their providing 12 months of this down-sized version of I.D. protection won’t come close to convincing me to ever step foot in a Target store again.

6. Ruth
    Jan 19 at 13:29

I put the activation code in and press the red button and…..nothing happens. Been trying this numerous times. When I email the support team I get all the info I already know….this is not helping

Becky Reply:

Ruth, Thanks for contacting us. We sent your information to our customer relations group. They will be in touch.

7. Lisa
    Jan 19 at 13:57

I got my activation code, and enter my current address. Then it keeps asking for previous address and won’t let me continue. I have entered my last three addresses and I’m still stuck on the original questions. How do I move past this? What exactly is the site looking for that I’m not providing?

Becky Reply:

Lisa, Thanks for contacting us. We sent your information to our customer relations group. They will be in touch.

8. Arden
    Jan 20 at 08:39

I just renewed a year’s membership to Protect My ID in January prior to being notified by Target. Can I get reimbursed?

Becky Reply:

We’ve sent your information to our customer relations group. They will be in touch to help you with your cancellation request.

9. Andy Hubbell
    Jan 20 at 20:34

I was just wondering how to correct mis-information of the credit reports as it is shown on protectmyid.com? Current employer is incorrect and there is an issue with previous address.

Becky Reply:

If you suspect your identity has been stolen based on new credit lines being established, and you are a member of ProtectMyID, you should contact Experian at the number listed in your ProtectMyID member center and ask to speak with a Fraud Resolution Agent.

To find out more on how to dispute errors on your Experian credit report please visit http://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html.

10. Gary L
    Jan 21 at 09:21

When I go to http://www.protectmyid.com/target, I get this error:

The requested URL was rejected.

Thank you for reaching us please contact our customer service at +1-877-481-6826

In fact, I can’t go to ANY page at that domain name. Is it because I’m accessing it from overseas? I’m currently out of the USA for business and won’t be back until March.

Nora Reply:

I have the same problem. I am currently out of the US for the next several months. I have tried numerous times to access protectmyid.com and protectmyid.com/target and keep getting “the requested URL was rejected”

Greg Reply:

Yup, me too. Any answer as to why so many people are getting “The requested URL was rejected”? Seems like a broader problem than dealing with each person one by one can address.

Becky Reply:

Hi Greg. Thanks for contacting us. We sent your information to our customer relations group. They will be in touch.

Danny DeLoach Reply:

I am currently overseas (where I’ll be for several months), and I am having the same problem. When I try to access “www.protectmyid.com”, I get the message “the requested URL was rejected”.

Brett Reply:

I’m having the same problem with the rejected URL. I’m out of the country, as well.

Greg F Reply:

I’m in Costa Rica and having the same issue. I won’t be back in the US for a few months so would appreciate a work around. Thanks

Jaime Thornton Reply:

I also live outside of the US and will not return until July 2014. I would like to take advantage of this credit check before it expires on April 30, 2014. Thanks i advance.

Bryan Reply:

I’m in Turkey and having the exact same error message. Stationed here for the next two years so hopefully this problem is able to be fixed! Thanks

11. Jessica Taft
    Jan 22 at 08:13

I signed up for ProtectMyID and since then I have received 8-12 calls from 877-562-2503. When I looked this number up it says it is a company to rent cell phones for your trip to Israel. I think it is spam related to signing up, is there anything I can do about this.

Becky Reply:

Thank you for contacting us. ProtectMyID does not sell your information or phone number. Here’s a link to the Do Not Call Registry run by the FTC (not affiliated with ProtectMyID). https://www.donotcall.gov/

12. Dinkum
    Jan 22 at 10:55

My ProtectMyID account is currently inactive. How can I reactivate it with the Target activation code?

Thank you.

13. Gail mcDonnell
    Jan 22 at 15:42

I want to sign up for the free 1 yr. experian because of the Target hacking, but it asks for all the information we are told not to give out, such as social security number. How do I make sure this is not a scam?

Hi Gail,

We understand. Rest assured that ProtectMyID is backed by Experian and is a reputable product. We take security seriously and work to provide you with exceptional identity monitoring.

14. john b. cape
    Jan 23 at 21:22

you can get your annual free credit report after signing up at the protectmyid/target website ( run by experion, I think) for Experion and Transunion.

Equifax, however, requires you to snail mail them (at your expense and time) a special form(a request and ID form) along with 2 forms of ID, one with your SSN, and one with your current address. then they will decide if you are you and may send you a credit report or ask for more information. why all the hassle? they don’t have any trouble sending your info to rental managers, employers, insurance agents, banks, credit card and loan companies. isn’t the point of annual free credit reports to include consumers in this mysterious credit system. I don’t think Equifax wants to deal with this law and makes things difficult for consumers to access their info. perhaps Target cares enough to use their resources to look into this, or maybe not. i’ll check back with Equifax when my next “free” credit report is due.

Hi John,

We can’t comment on another company’s policies. We are backed by Experian and happy to provide you with identity protection.

15. Jill
    Jan 24 at 06:22

I am a little wary of this whole thing now. I had a a target code, entered all my personal data, and waited…. only to get a screen saying you cannot process my request. It feels like I’ve just been scammed.

Jill,

Sounds like there might be an additional authentication needed for your security. We’ve let our customer relations group know and they will be in touch.

Megan Reply:

I had the same problem. How do I know to fix it without feeling like I’m being scammed? Is the number given safe to call? Are they going to ask me for more information? Or can I simply e-mail the company?

16. m gerdelman
    Jan 24 at 12:57

Target promised me free credit monitoring. Then Experian deducted $3.95 from my bank account for a credit report. I did NOT agree to pay for a credit report. I did NOT give my bank or credit card information.
    I’m mad at Target for setting me up for this fraud. Experian obvoiusly used my signing up for FREE credit monitoring to take money out of my account. Someone should be monitoring Experian.

17. Denise Lusk
    Jan 24 at 13:27

I’ve entered the activation code that was sent to me and press the red submit button on several separate occasions, and each time, nothing happens. It looks as though this has happened to others as well.

18. Debbie
    Jan 25 at 15:08

Why am I not able to receive a free credit score with the target monitoring deal with Experian. Seems pretty cheap for both Target and Experian to make those of us who have been the victims pay for anything especially a small amount like $3.95 to see the credit score. Is there a way to waive that fee? If not, can you provide the feedback to Target that this is one very unhappy customer. (again)

19. Manuel
    Jan 29 at 17:47

I live outside the US but used my credit card in december @Target TX while on vacation. I got my access code but when I try to open the URL I get a rejected error.

20. Venkatraman Devarajan
    Jan 29 at 21:17

Hi…I’m overseas and I cannot access the URL. It says request has been rejected. Can you help?

21. Maria
    Jan 30 at 15:02

I signed up for target free credit, but it doesn’t show my credit score, and it only show Experian information, if i want to see the other 2 i have to pay for it. how is that supposed to help me?

Becky Reply:

Hello Maria. Glad you asked because ProtectMyID is an excellent partner in the fight against identity theft. ProtectMyID is backed by Experian, the largest credit reporting agency, and provides a layered approach to identity protection. It alerts members to changes that could indicate identity theft so they can take action to protect themselves. Product features include daily credit monitoring, Internet Scan for members’ personal information, an award-winning Fraud Resolution Team and $1 million identity theft insurance. If members suspect potentially fraudulent activities, they can work with dedicated Fraud Resolution Agents who assist them with resolving all the issues related to identity theft.

ProtectMyID Product Details:

ProtectMyID provides uncompromising identity protection through its detection, protection and resolution features.

• Early Warning Surveillance Alerts™
    o Experian will notify members of key credit report changes covering 50 leading indicators of identity theft, including:
     New accounts opened
     New applications for credit
     Medical collections
     Address changes reported from multiple sources
     Public record changes
     Potentially negative information on credit reports

• All Clear Surveillance Alerts
    o It’s important to know when your identity might be at risk so you can react and recover. It’s also nice to hear that everything’s okay. If we detect that your identity is free of activity for an entire month, we’ll let you know with an All Clear Surveillance Alert.

• Protection
    o As the largest credit reporting agency, Experian meets the highest requirements of regulation and compliance. Experian was the first to launch online consumer credit monitoring with a history steeped in consumer credit experience. What does this mean for you? Not only can we access your personal data in a secure manner, it also means you get powerful identity protection that leverages the innovation of Experian.

• Identity Theft Resolution
    o Having a dedicated U.S. based Experian Identity Theft Resolution Agent makes a real difference in the fight against identity theft. You’ll work with the same highly trained agent from start to finish to speed you toward recovery. Someone who can place fraud alerts directly on your Experian credit report to help prevent new accounts from being opened. Someone who will help contact the proper authorities, assist with paperwork and take other vital steps. Most cases are resolved with the help of our agents in less than one hour. Otherwise, you could spend average of 21 hours attempting to resolve identity fraud by yourself (Javelin Strategy & Research: 2010 Identity Fraud Survey Report). And you can rest easy knowing your Experian Identity Theft Resolution Agent works in a highly secure environment adding yet another layer of safety around your identity.

• $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance
    o We provide you with $1 Million Identity Theft Insurance with a $0 deductible the minute you enroll. This means that, if you become a victim of identity theft while you are a member, you may be covered for certain costs, such as fraudulent electronic fund transfers, lost wages, legal fees and private investigator costs. Identity Theft Insurance underwritten by insurance company subsidiaries or affiliates of American International Group, Inc. (AIG). The description herein is a summary and intended for informational purposes only and does not include all terms, conditions and exclusions of the policies described. Please refer to the actual policies for terms, conditions, and exclusions of coverage. Coverage may not be available in all jurisdictions.

22. Luisa W
    Jan 31 at 10:15

I did the activation code, but after I put my info in, it’s asking me for $15/mth- why isn’t it free?

Becky Reply:

Sounds like you might be on the retail website and not the Target activation site. Please visit http://www.protectmyid.com/target to enter your activation code.

23. Cautious
    Jan 31 at 14:45

Thanks for contacting us. We sent your information to our customer relations group. They will be in touch. THIS REPLY ON SERVES TO SCARE TARGET PATRONS MORE. PERHAPS YOUR RELATIONS DEPT SHOULD REPLY ON LINE FOR EVERYONE TO SEE.

Hello,

We understand your concern, but in these instances, the customer care team gives one-on-one attention to the issue and responds privately to members in order to best serve them.

24. david donegan
    Feb 02 at 06:46

I obtained an activation # and entered it into protectmyid.com/target, however I have not received any instructions as to how to access my credit report.

Hi David,
    We’ve shared your feedback with our customer care team who can help you look into the issue and resolve the problem. They will be in touch today.

Thanks

25. maSHEWELL
    Feb 02 at 17:56

The activation code I was sent does not work.

Becky Reply:

Hello, Sorry there was a difficulty signing up. We’ve shared your feedback with our customer care team and they will contact you today to help you with signup.

Becky Reply:

Hi Mary, when you attempted to sign-up did you get a welcome e-mail with your log-in information? It would have been from ProtectMyID. If not, let me know and I will send you a direct email with the next step. Thanks.

26. Steven
    Feb 02 at 20:20

I received the email with the activation code. I have tried at least 5 times over the past two days to register, and each time I get the same error.

Here are the steps that I followed:

– I went to http://protectmyid.com/target.

– I entered the activation code and clicked the red button.

– On the next page, I completed the form (name, address, etc.) and clicked the red button.

– On the subsequent page, I completed the two sections: “Create your login” and “Identity Verification”, and clicked the red button.

– Then a page came up saying “we are processing your request”

– After a few seconds, a new page loads and says: “We’re sorry … We have encountered an internal system error. Please note that your order has been canceled. Your credit card has not been charged. Sorry about the inconvenience.”

I hope you can resolve this!

Thanks.

Becky Reply:

Hi Steven, Thanks for alerting us to this. Sorry you experienced this difficulty. We on the social media team have shared your feedback with the product and customer care teams. A member of the customer care team will be in touch today to help you complete the activation process.

Steven Reply:

Hi Becky, no one has gotten in touch with me. I just tried the process again and exactly the same thing happened.

Thanks,

Steven

27. lois mcneill
    Feb 03 at 13:03

I submitted the required info. How do I know if I completed it correctly?

Becky Reply:

Hi Lois, We on the social media team shared your question with our customer care group. They will be in touch today to answer your question.

Becky Reply:

Hi Lois, I just emailed you the next step. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks.

Becky Reply:

Hey Lois, I called you today, but you were unavailable so I left a message with Mr. McNeill. Feel free to return my call at your earliest convenience. Have a nice weekend. – Claudia.

28. Becky
    Feb 04 at 17:35

Hey David, Once you’ve logged into your PMID membership, the landing page should be ‘My Protection Center’, and there you will find ‘Credit Reports’ (sub-tab) which will allow you to view your complimentary credit report. Let me know if any issues. Thanks. -Claudia

29. Sirish
    Feb 04 at 21:35

I am getting “The requested URL was rejected” error. I am logging in from overseas. Please advise. I have an activation code. Thanks.

30. Becky
    Feb 05 at 14:24

Hi Sirish, we have a team that can assist with this type of situation. Please give us a call 1-479-573-7373 the specialty team can help with your situation. – Glen

31. Gianna Caruso
    Feb 05 at 19:27

I am trying to complete this sign up from the target breach. I have my avtivation code but there was no where to enter my code and it does ask for a credit card to charge me $1.00 and the a fee per month.
    the protectmyid.com/target site is obviously not working based on my issue and all the isasue before me. Please advise how to continue.

32. Juan Melo
    Feb 05 at 19:34

33. Becky
    Feb 06 at 14:40

Juan, we have a team that can assist with this type of situation. Please give us a call 1-479-573-7373 the specialty team can help with your situation. – Glen

34. Becky
    Feb 06 at 15:01

Gianna, this typically means that it is going to our main site instead of the data breach activation site. try using private browsing then type the URL in the top address bar. feel free to give us a call if that is not working. – Glen

35. Gail E. Coonce
    Feb 07 at 10:43

I had no trouble login’ on to the Target Free website. I read thru everybody’s complaints and thought I would leave a good one. I mean Come on people! Complaining that you can’t see your credit score? Some people will complain about free apple pie because it doesn’t have ice cream on top. You can see your free credit score once a year at Free credit score.org (Address may be wrong. .gov?) You can look at you account history + account sumary on this web site. I give Target a thumbs up for doing something.

36. saravjeet
    Feb 11 at 09:56

37. Harry
    Feb 12 at 09:25

Idiotic. Copied the code from the email but it didn’t work. Changed to lower case and it did. Maybe send email with the correct code!!?

38. Terri T
    Feb 19 at 21:13

I signed up for the Target 1 year free monitoring. I received my activation code on 1/14/14. Now when I log in, it is asking me to pay to see my report, when I already previously paid to get my credit score.

Becky Reply:

Terri, I would be happy to help. I tried to call the number on your membership but the line was busy, is there a better number to reach you?- Glen

39. Patricia Chism
    Feb 21 at 22:35

I created an account with Protectmyid.com as instructed with no difficulty. I could view my report at that time. I logged in again to access my report due to a creditor notification of possible fraudulent charges. I can access no Experian report including archived. I get ” you have no report to view”. When I attempt to request a report, it wants to charge for that.
    ???

Becky Reply:

Hi Patricia, thanks for the chat, I was glad to help. If you have any other questions about your ProtectMyID.com membership feel free to give me a call back. – Glen

[Reply]

40. I’m almost afraid to pay with a credit card anywhere. Monitoring my transaction history has become a daily activity.

41. Elizabeth F Dwyer
    Feb 28 at 06:54

I’ve had the same problem as others. I did all the requirements, but message said further authorization was required. Please contact me as I need to sign up since we have recently been victims of fraud and I need to put a fraud alert hold on my ID.

Becky Reply:

Hi Elizabeth, I called and left you a message, If you have any problems please feel free to give me a call and i’ll be happy to help. – Glen

42. Susan
    Mar 01 at 12:38

I have the free credit monitoring from Target. I tried to check my credit report today like I did Feb. 1 and it says I have no report. Yes I do. Where is it? I emailed you 4 hours ago and have not heard anything. Tried to pull it again and it said the same thing yet you say you are monitoring my report and there have been no changes. Get this right people.

Becky Reply:

Hi Susan, the ProtectMyID.com membership provides an Experian report for the first 30 days so you have a chance to ensure everything is accurate. From there it monitors your report and sends alerts if there are any significant changes to the report. Unfortunately it does not give continued access to the report. I hope this helps to clarify. – Glen

43. Juan Riofrio
    Mar 05 at 08:58

Hello, I am in Ecuador and I am being charged a monthly fee from protectmyid on my credit card since November. I do not remember signing up for this service, how can I contact the company for solve this matter?

I am outside the US and getting the same “rejected URL” message.

Thanks a lot!
    Juan S. Riofrio

Becky Reply:

Hi Juan, I would be happy to help with that, please send me the email address that would have been used or a number I can reach you at. – Glen

44. jan m
    Mar 05 at 21:03

Just tried to sign up for the target breach one year id protection. I entered all my information and it has been “processing” for 20 minutes. This makes me very nervous. I plan to start over. Regardless, someone needs to contact me to reassure me that my personal information is still safe.

Becky Reply:

Hi Jan, I’m having one of the team give you a call. her name is Alice. Thanks – Glen

45. Kieran H
    Mar 09 at 23:08

Hi guys

I keep getting ‘The requested URL was rejected’

Any idea how I can get around this, the same problems happens for my friend too.

Becky Reply:

Kieran, I just e-mailed you my contact info.
    Feel free to give me a call/reply to my
    e-mail with a convenient phone number to
    reach you at. I’d be glad to help in any way
    I can. Thanks. -Claudia

46. A Shenoy
    Mar 14 at 11:28

Hello,

I am trying to access “http://www.protectmyid.com/target”, but I keep getting “The requested URL was rejected.”

I am accessing the website from outside of US.

Please help me get access to the website.

Thanks,
    A Shenoy

Becky Reply:

Thank you for reaching out, I am sending an email with contact info to help with this. – Glen

47. Carl Gross
    Mar 23 at 07:22

I’m also overseas and receiving the ‘URL was rejected’ message. How can I resolve this?

Becky Reply:

Hi Carl, I apologize for any inconvenience we limit overseas access to our website due to security concerns. please feel free to give us a call at 1-479-573-7373 we have a team of agents able to assist international callers. I hope this Helps. – Glen

48. Dana
    Mar 27 at 00:00

Can you please clarify what security measures Experian is utilizing for this 1 year membership and how the company monitors my report? How is “significant changes” defined? There was fraudulent charges to my accounts and change of address reported to creditors, however, this valuable information was never detected nor was I alerted by Experian. Do members that pay for membership have similar issues? At the very least, I think it is only fair to allow members access to monitor their credit report if this membership is proving to be unreliable and not providing the security needed by those individuals whose identity has been compromised.

Becky Reply:

Hi Dana, I left my information on your voice mail, I look forward to your call to answer your questions. – Glen

49. Becky
    Mar 28 at 13:46

Hi Sherry, I sent you an email with my contact information, I’ll be happy to help and answer your questions about ProtectMyID.com. – Glen