When I was a Fraud Resolution Agent for ProtectMyID.com, I assisted a young adult who found out he was a fraud victim when he tried to apply for a credit card. What happened is that he was trying to build his credit and he was denied time after time. He thought it had to do with the fact that he only had two credit cards which led him to review his credit reports through ProtectMyID.com. To his surprise, he noticed collection accounts for utilities he never authorized. A fraudster had used his identity amassing hundreds of dollars of debt. The sad thing was he was only 20 years old at the time.
Identity thieves target young adults, such as the one I assisted, because most are barely starting out at building their credit or don’t have any established credit at all. There’s less of a chance to be denied loans, utility accounts, or credit card accounts which identity thieves find attractive. Also, young adults are less likely to check their credit reports for suspicious activities.
Fortunately, the young adult I helped was enrolled with ProtecMyID.com which qualified him for Fraud Resolution Assistance. I was happy to be able to assist him in rectifying the fraud issue. The good news is young adults can take actions to protect themselves from identity theft. I recommend enrolling with a credit and identity monitoring product like ProtectMyID.com which will provide you access to the following features:
1. ProtectMyID.com has multiple layers of defense to help its members protect their identities so they don’t have to worry.
• PMID.com monitors members’ credit daily through all three credit bureaus to look for key changes to each member’s credit reports
• PMID.com actively scans the Internet on a daily basis to search for fraudulent use of members’ SSN, credit and debit cards
2. PMID sends notification alerts that inform members when a change of address action initiated so members can verify that the change was legitimate or determine if it came from an unauthorized source.
3. Access to experienced U.S. Fraud Resolution Agents provides members with invaluable personal assistance in resolving identity theft issues as well as help in the event of a lost or stolen wallet.
Visit ProtectMyID.com to learn more about what a membership can do for you.