Search

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Welcome to the ProtectMyID Blog

Lessons and stories from the front lines of fighting identity theft.

My Social Security card has been stolen!

Jun 10

What do I do?

In the event your Social Security card is stolen the first thing you should do is compose yourself and not panic.  There are steps you will need  to follow in order to have  your Social Security number replaced and it will be important for you to follow these steps to make sure the process of replacing it goes smoothly.

The first step you will need to take is to complete a Form SS-5 which you can download from the SSA site. Your Social Security number will be the same, however to have it replaced you will need to provide proof of your identity which can be one or more of the following:

• Driver’s license
• Employee ID card
• Marriage license or divorce decree
• Military records
• Adoption records
• Passport
• School ID Card
• Health insurance card (Medicare card not acceptable)

If you happen to notice fraudulent activities after your Social Security number has been stolen, such as a credit card or utility accounts being opened without your consent, you should immediately take the following actions (if you’re a member of ProtectMyID.com, a Fraud Resolution Agent can help you with these steps).

1. File an identity theft report with the local police department and/or the police department where the identity theft took place.  Keep a copy of the police report as proof of the crime.

2. Notify the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint and to request a copy of the FTC Fraud Affidavit forms 1-877-ID-THEFT or 1-877-438-4338).

3. File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov/ if fraudulent accounts were established online.

4. Contact the fraud units of the three major credit reporting bureaus to place an initial fraud alert (if you have an identity theft report you can place it for 7 years):

Equifax (800-525-6285)
Trans Union: (800-680-7289)
Experian: (888-397-3742)

5. Call each company to report any fraudulent accounts that have been opened fraudulently with your Social Security number and initiate a fraud investigation.

44 Comments Add your comment

1. FISSAHA A GEBA
    Jul 14 at 12:49

my social security number is stolen and is being used by some one for work.

Becky Reply:

That’s terrible. We’re sorry you’re going through this. Luckily, you can get help. If you are a member, or are interested in becoming a ProtectMyID member, please call 1-866-974-MYID (6943).

Hank Bates Reply:

I tracked down a criminal in my town that did that to someone. Do you live in SC? might be the same guy.

2. Jean McKnight
    Jun 17 at 06:52

I tried to file an initial 90 day fraud alert on line and I received an error message. However when I again submitted via my phone it said the alert was already on file. So I am just writing to check that my initial alert is on file and will be transferred to the other two companies, Trans Union and Experian. Thank you for your assistance.

Jean,

So sorry this has happened to you. We at the ProtectMyID blog do not have access to your fraud alerts placed with the credit reporting agencies. A helpful site is https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html, or you can call Experian at 888-397-3742. Best of luck to you.

3. Samantha Pace
    Dec 08 at 01:37

I recently had my social security card stolen from me and I’ve already contacted the FTC and the 3 major credit companies and on Monday I’ll be contacting the IRS to inform them as well but still don’t feel safe especially because I knew who took it and I don’t know what other information they took and that scares me

4. Leila
    Feb 02 at 22:12

ive recently lost my husbands wallet. ive looked everywhere for it and cant find it. inside his wallet was both of our social security card. we thought we needed to show the court our card when we got married and then forgot to take them out again. what so i do

5. Patrick
    Jun 30 at 16:34

I had my card stolen and I know who took it. I tried to negotiate it’s return but no dice. Who do you call to get someone to investigate this. I’m sure once the police or FBI or HLS show up at her door she’ll fork it over.

Becky Reply:

Patrick, that doesn’t sound good. Consider contacting your local police authorities. If the card remains stolen, file a police report and an identity theft police report. If you suspect your card will be used for fraud, you can contact the credit reporting agencies and place fraud alerts. Here’s a link that describes the Fraud Victim Assistance process at Experian. http://www.experian.com/credit-education/victim-assistance.html

6. Patti
    Jul 22 at 16:36

My 20 year old son’s wallet was stolen with his drivers license, insurance card, and social security card in it. He has no credit cards etc. Besides a police report what does he need to do?

Becky Reply:

Patti, Here’s a link from the SSA about replacing the card. Remind him not to carry his Social Security card in his wallet in the future, but to keep it in a secure place. http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251/~/replace-a-social-security-card-for-an-adult

Alert the insurer of the loss and request a replacement card. If he doesn’t already belong to an identity monitoring product, we highly recommend it and know of a good one you could use.

7. Chris
    Aug 08 at 12:36

I had my wallet stolen last night and in it was my Texas license, my social security card and my credit and debit cards. I have already closed both of my card accounts and have new ones on the way. I have no other forms of identification to go about getting my new license yet. What should my next steps be in protecting my social security number and in getting my new license? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Becky Reply:

Chris, Sorry that happened to you. If you are a ProtectMyID member, we recommend calling us and speaking with a fraud resolution agent.

Here are some details about replacing your SSA card, and a good article about what to do if your wallet is stolen.

8. Sheree
    Aug 17 at 13:18

what should i do ifmimdont know what happened to me and my daughters social security cards. one day they where in my wallet and the next time i checked for em they where gone. im not sure if there stolen or misplaced.

Becky Reply:

Sheree, that can be frustrating. We recommend people do not carry Social Security cards in their wallets. Once you get new ones, be sure to store them in a safe, secure place. Here’s some information on re-ordering them. If you believe they were stolen, you can place a fraud alert on your credit as well. If you’re a ProtectMyID member, call our customer care to assist you with this.

9. Davonta
    Aug 29 at 00:15

I had my social security card stolen. I recently turned 18 & graduated. I was wondering what requirements do I need to get a copy of my social security card. Since my health card they won’t accept & I don’t have my school I.D. could I get it with my birth certificate & last report card ?

Becky Reply:

Hello, please see http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251/~/replace-a-social-security-card-for-an-adult for more information about how to replace your social security card.

10. christina
    Sep 11 at 16:32

I had my wallet stolen. I had just done paperwork for a new job so my ss card was in there. Along with my only forms of I.d. I’m unable to prove who I am now. Where do I go from here? Because a lot placea require me to have some kind of identification…. but I no longer have that.

Rachel Reply:

Christina, this article reviews the steps to take after you lose your wallet http://blog.protectmyid.com/2011/07/27/the-five-things-you-should-do-when-you-lose-your-wallet/. Also, see http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251/~/replace-a-social-security-card-for-an-adult for more information about how to replace your social security card.

11. Jessie
    Sep 14 at 06:38

HELP! I’m on Medicaid and had to go to the DMV to get my non-drivers ID renewed after a 9:30AM Dentist visit and left my WHOLE purse with Social Security card ON THE BUS! Will ANYTHING happen to MY benifits?!

Becky Reply:

Jessie, There’s no absolute answer as to whether something will happen. In some cases, a good citizen could find and retrun your purse to the bus driver. We hope that this is the case. If not, you’ll want to look up the contact information for the medicaid office in your state to work on getting a replacement Medicaid card. http://www.ask.com/answers/96910561/how-do-i-get-a-replacement-medicaid-card-and-get-my-medicaid-number-now

When people lose their wallets and purses, it’s a good idea to inform all your card providers of the loss and place a fraud alert on your credit report. If you are a ProtectMyID member, feel free to call our fraud resolution department for help.

12. kevin
    Sep 17 at 12:36

my social card was mailed to me but i have not received it and it has not been returned to sender. what do i do?

Kevin,

You are right to be concerned. The Social Security Administration lists this number to call with questions about your card. 1-800-772-1213. More information at http://www.socialsecurity.gov/.

13. Mary
    Sep 20 at 21:03

My purse was stolen w/social security card,debit,credit cards,green card,ID,DL & ipad.I’ve already cancel bank accts.But what worries me Is my social security card what do I do. i ca’nt even sleep well at night of just What is the best thing to do? And will there be any issues in the future regarding to this?

Rachel Reply:

Mary, you are right to be concerned. Please see http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/251/~/replace-a-social-security-card-for-an-adult for more information about how to replace your social security card. Additionally, you should monitor your credit report regularly over the next couple of years to make sure no fraudulent accounts have been opened in your name.

14. Marie
    Dec 06 at 06:32

So I reviewed a fake PayPal email saying my account email had been changed but was reverted back to my original email. Still though I had to confirm my identity. It asked for my name, dob, mothers maiden name, and ssn. My mother’s maiden name seemed a little weird but my bank has asked for my ssn to conform identify before so it seed of. However I didn’t know the email was fake till after I called paypal (the site it sent me too looked exactly like PayPal) so I had put in my information. So now someone has all my info. I’ve contacted all accounts associated with my PayPal (banks, credit cards) but what should I do about my ssn? These people obvious want it for some criminal reason so I’m very concerned.

Becky Reply:

Hello Marie, Sorry that happened to you. Please consider including a fraud alert on your credit reports since your SSN was stolen through a phishing scheme. https://www.experian.com/fraud/center.html

15. Chloe
    Dec 17 at 03:11

I had dropped my wallet walking to a friends house, I noticed it missing just before we got there. His house is a 8min walk from mine, when I noticed it missing we walked the exact same way back but could not find it and the only people around were the Hispanic workers for where I live and they don’t speak English at all so I could not ask if they have seen it. But my SScard was in it along with college ID, and a few other important cards. I’m 18 and just graduated from high school. Is it wrong that I assume that one of the workers stole it? And where should I call to see if my name has been “misused”. I am not sure on what to do, and even though I’m told not to panic I can’t help but panic because I have no job yet and because I do not have my SSnumber memorized where I live I cannot get a job or even sign up for financial aid to go to college. So I’m stuck and I don’t know what to do.

Becky Reply:

Chloe, Sorry that happened to you. We always remind people to not carry their Social Security cards in their wallets. You’ll want to add a fraud alert to your credit reports and contact the Social Security Administration to request a replacement card. Make a list of all the cards you lost and systematically go down that list and call the places to notify them that you lost your wallet and need new cards. Let them know you suspect it was stolen and request new account numbers when possible. The sooner this is done, the better. Best of luck to you.

Here are some helpful links:

16. joanna
    Dec 25 at 01:51

I’ve recently got my wallet stolen in it were my social security card and debit card..I do not have any credit cards. What do I do? Do I just replace it?

Here are some helpful links:

17. Radley Yates
    Dec 29 at 20:53

I need help. Someone stole my wallet n I had my ss card in it.
    what do I do.

18. Sara
    Feb 12 at 07:03

My purse was stolen. I had in my wallet my drivers license and my 3 year olds social security card. What should I do to protect his identity?

Sara,

So sorry that happened to you. That’s definitely a bad sign. We don’t recommend people carry Social Security cards in their wallets or purses. Here’s some helpful information on how to get the card replaced. If you are a ProtectMyID member, please contact our fraud resolution agents to assist you.

19. Luis Finona Jr
    Feb 19 at 19:35

Hi. I just reviewed my credit report because I was brought aware that there is a state tax lein against me from 2004 which only now realizing it. Upon taking required steps, would I be able to have this removed from my credit? PLEASE HELP ME

Becky Reply:

Hi Luis, I have sent you an email with my direct number, feel free to give me a call and i’ll put you in touch with the dispute team.

20. Charles
    Feb 24 at 13:37

I recently filed my tax return and had it denied due to the fact someone else used more than one of my dependent on there tax return. Im married and no one else has the right to do so. I suspect someome has stolen there social security card. I don’t know which depentenst. What should I do?

Becky Reply:

Charles, So sorry that happened to you. The IRS has a helpful site to help you report suspected tax fraud. http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/How-Do-You-Report-Suspected-Tax-Fraud-Activity%3F

21. Elpidio Diaz
    Mar 31 at 21:31

About 20 years ago we found out somebody was using my wife’s ss number however we never lost her card. we just found out
    Since we appeared to the ss office in Los Angeles Ca and a report was issued that my wife was the rightful applicant, it continued and since we moved to Georgia and again we went to the SS office and a second affidavit was filed
    After that we file a police report and also contacted the Federal Trade Commission and the IRS “NO ACTION” but since the IRS is the only one sending us a PIN every year for filing purposes What else can be done to stop this person once and for all
    We have some information of the real name (different from my spouse’s) except the first name is the same also the whereabouts of this person Thanks

22. Toyin Olusanya
    Apr 14 at 14:50

Hi. I’m from Africa but had the privilege of giving birth to my children in the US. I just had my last baby this January. I decided to visit Africa and I took a small bag that contains my children original birth certificate, social security numbers n passport along with me. I boarded a united plan from houston to Lagos. I was in the light when one of the staff at the check in counter came to me requesting for my passport that he made a mistake with something, so I had to bring out the bag where I kept it from my hand luggage to give him d passports. Shortly after he returned them but I did not return them back to the bag but kept it in my handbag. On getting to lagos Nigeria on Saturday evening, I discovered the small bag containing my children original birth certificates n social security numbers was missing. All effort to find d bag has proved abortive. What should I do as this could have a serious implication as regards identity theft. I’m currently out of the US. Should I report the loss to the local authority here or have my sister report the loss in the US. And what other things should I do

23. robert williams
    Apr 15 at 11:26

my ex-wife has my ss card, birth certificate, & shot record. she claims she doesnt have them but she kept them in a file. anyway, she lives 3 states away because i left after i caught her cheating and she is jusst being hard.

24. Rafael lara
    May 27 at 13:47

Okay i need some help, can someone answer this for me.

Okay i got a dmv investigator thats telling me that me and some other person have the same social security number. Now hes telling me to get a new number so he can take the hold off my cali I D. But heres the what i dont understand tje social security office is telling me that no one is using my number nor is it stolen so there for i cant get a new social security number nor can i get the lift off of my I D as well and the private investigator is helping me out on this. What should i do.

25. Giovanny
    Sep 13 at 22:48

I got my wallet stolen from me tonight. I have my social security, my drivers license, and two of my credit cards in it. “Fortunately” I had no cash or anything ‘valueable’ inside the wallet, except for the expensive wallet itself.. and ofcourse my IDs..

I already called Equifax and filed a report. They gave me a confirmation number. I also called the police right away after my wallet got stolen. So far the thief has used my CC on several purchases (50 bucks so far), but I called my CC company and told them to dispute those charges and deactivate my accounts.
    What I fear is that they’re going to use my SS and ID to get a new Debit/Credit card from my bank.. or whatever plan they have.
    The thing is I’m sure they didn’t plan to steal my social, it just happened to be in my wallet.

What other steps should I take? I’m really concerned

26. Juan Sanchez Jr.
    Sep 15 at 01:46

So I live in Chicago and I feel asleep on the Redline and woke up to a L shaped cut in my right rear side of my pants where some people would keep their wallet, it had $60, my state I.D and Social Security card. This happened roughly in 2011 and now its coming back to bite me in my rear… I currently work for Lettuce Entertain You Corp and they participate in E verify and it turns out they will terminate me if certain terms are not met. Not sure what to do!!