Subscribe to ProtectMyID Blog via RSS

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Welcome to the ProtectMyID Blog

Lessons and stories from the front lines of fighting identity theft.


My Social Security card has been stolen!

Jun 10

What do I do?

In the event your Social Security card is stolen the first thing you should do is compose yourself and not panic.  There are steps you will need  to follow in order to have  your Social Security number replaced and it will be important for you to follow these steps to make sure the process of replacing it goes smoothly. 

The first step you will need to take is to complete a Form SS-5 which you can download from the SSA site. Your Social Security number will be the same, however to have it replaced you will need to provide proof of your identity which can be one or more of the following:

• Driver’s license
• Employee ID card
• Marriage license or divorce decree
• Military records
• Adoption records
• Passport
• School ID Card
• Health insurance card (Medicare card not acceptable)

If you happen to notice fraudulent activities after your Social Security number has been stolen, such as a credit card or utility accounts being opened without your consent, you should immediately take the following actions (if you’re a member of, a Fraud Resolution Agent can help you with these steps).

1. File an identity theft report with the local police department and/or the police department where the identity theft took place.  Keep a copy of the police report as proof of the crime.

2. Notify the Federal Trade Commission to file a complaint and to request a copy of the FTC Fraud Affidavit forms 1-877-ID-THEFT or 1-877-438-4338).

3. File a complaint with the Internet Crime Complaint Center at if fraudulent accounts were established online.

4. Contact the fraud units of the three major credit reporting bureaus to place an initial fraud alert (if you have an identity theft report you can place it for 7 years):

Equifax (800-525-6285)
Trans Union: (800-680-7289)
Experian: (888-397-3742)

5. Call each company to report any fraudulent accounts that have been opened fraudulently with your Social Security number and initiate a fraud investigation.