Subscribe to ProtectMyID Blog via RSS

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Welcome to the ProtectMyID Blog

Lessons and stories from the front lines of fighting identity theft.


Help!!! I suspect my child has a credit file……

Apr 26

What should I do?

When I was a Fraud Resolution Agent, not only did we assist adult consumers with identity theft, we also assisted minors who may have been potential fraud victims.  Once we received the proper documents from the legal guardian, we were able to discuss with the parent what prompted the monitoring alert for their children.  

However, if you suspect your child’s Social Security number may have been used for identity theft and you’re currently reading this entry, you will want to be proactive now and check to see if your child has an existing credit report. Children typically do not have existing lines of credit and therefore should not have a credit report. .  Here are the steps you will need to follow in order to find out if your child has a credit report.

Step 1. Write a letter to the three major credit monitoring agencies requesting a copy of your child’s credit report and include a brief explanation as to why you suspect fraud.   Be sure to include the following pieces of information before you mail out your letter.  If you miss one of these items you will receive a letter from the agencies requesting the missing information which will delay the process.  Here is a checklist:

__ A copy of your driver’s license or another government issued ID.

__ Proof of your mailing address, such as a copy of a utility bill.

__ A copy of your child’s birth certificate.

__ A copy of your child’s Social Security card.

__ Your child’s full name, including middle initial and generation (if applicable).

__ Your child’s date of birth.

__ Previous addresses for the past two years (if you haven’t lived at the same address). 

Step 2. Send your letter to each of the credit reporting agencies by certified mail with a return receipt. The addresses of the credit reporting agencies are as follows:

PO Box 9532
Allen, TX. 75013

P.O. Box 105139
Atlanta, GA. 30348′

PO Box 6790
Fullerton, CA. 92834

Step 3. Be sure to follow up with each of the credit reporting agencies if you receive no response after 30 days.

If you want to save yourself the time from going through all these steps, it’s recommended you enroll with a product that monitors your child’s Social Security number such as ChildSecure brought to you by  If your child receives a monitoring alert, all you would need to do is call Customer Care and they would assign you a designated Fraud Resolution Agent who would walk you through the process.  For more information about ChildSecure brought to you by, please call 1-866-960-MYID (6943) or go to

Post a comment

Note: takes your privacy seriously. In order to post comments on this Blog Site you will be required to provide your name and email address for verification purposes only. This information will not be shared, sold or used for marketing purposes. Confidential, private or credit information should not be posted to this Blog Site at any time. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to post comments to this Blog Site.