Did you know that 1.5 million Americans have been victims of medical identity theft according to a recent study by The Ponemon Institute, sponsored by ProtectMyID.com? The recent survey/study revealed the following:
• It is estimated that the costs associated with medical identity theft total about $28.6 billion — or approximately $20,000 per victim
• More than 50 percent of consumers didn’t discover that they had been victimized until at least a year after the incident or incidents had occurred
• Only 6 percent received a timely notification that their medical records had been breached
According to Jennifer Leuer, general manager of ProtectMyID.com, “The difficulty in detecting medical identity theft makes it a particularly dangerous form of fraud. Arming yourself with the tools provided by a fraud protection product such as ProtectMyID.com can prove invaluable in early detection and resolution, especially knowing that if something does happen you won’t be alone in getting the matter resolved.”
In order to battle these risks, ProtectMyID.com offers coverage specifically designed to aid consumers who are victims of medical identity theft. The following features will be available this month:
1. Daily internet monitoring for identity theft using insurance policy numbers. This will flag suspicious Internet activity involving personal medical information and keep customers informed along the way.
2. Dedicated resolution agents who are trained to notify and work with health care providers on behalf of customers to help resolve any theft-related issue. This removes the mystery and uncertainty from dealing with providers.
3. A lost wallet feature allows the consumer to make one call to a trained agent and receive assistance in the cancellation and reordering of lost wallet items, including credit cards and medical and dental insurance cards.
4. Alerts inform members when medically related collection actions occur.