Search

Rss Posts

Rss Comments

Welcome to the ProtectMyID Blog

Lessons and stories from the front lines of fighting identity theft.

Clean House from Identity Theft

Jan 15

Clean House of ID Theft

Every year, I make a New Year’s resolution and this year’s is to run a more organized and clean house.  I put together a cleaning list which includes things like cleaning out my refrigerator of expired or unhealthy food, clearing out my closet of clothes that no longer fit (largely due to the unhealthy food), and organizing my garage so I can finally park my car in it.  Another chore I added to my list is to rid my house of identity theft risks.

You’re probably asking yourself, “Clean my house out from identity theft, what’s that?” It may sound like a strange task to do but you may not realize the amount of personal information that is around your house, opening you up to vulnerabilities from identity thieves. For instance, all that piled up junk mail that you haven’t taken the time to shred or that drawer full of old banking/credit card statements that you’ve collected this past year could bring in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars to a resourceful thief.  Furthermore, just think of all the people that are in and out of your house such as friends and their guests, the babysitter, the housecleaner, or even the gardener.  If your personal information gets into the wrong hands it can cost you huge financial losses and a big headache trying to clean up the mess.

So here are a few tips I would like to share with you that I make a habit every year when I “clean house” from identity theft:

1. Clean your drawers out of outdated receipts and banking/credit card statements and shred them.

2. You should shred documents that contain your personal information on it.  For example, tax returns more than 7 years old.

3. Buy a safe and lock up important documents which contain your personal information and your emergency credit cards.

4. Shred junk mail, especially if it’s for a credit card offer or an offer to buy a new car. This kind of mail still contains some part of your personal information on it.

5. Last, but definitely not least, this is a good time for you to invest in an up-to-date personal shredder.

6 Comments Add your comment

1. Mike
    Jan 15 at 12:21

Thanks for the list. I’ve been meaning to get a safe for a while. This was a good reminder.

[Reply]

2. Trevor
    Jan 15 at 12:43

Wow, I never thought about the personal information that is lying around my house. After reading this, I am definitely looking into buying a shredder.

[Reply]

3. PMIDBecky
    Jan 15 at 12:54

Hello Trevor! We appreciate your feedback. We suggest you read the blog entry for 11/25/09 – Fight Identity Theft with a Shred Day. There are suggestions as to what kinds of sensitive docs you should shred.

[Reply]

4. PMIDBecky
    Jan 15 at 12:55

Hello Mike! No problem – good luck looking for a safe : -)

[Reply]

5. Scott
    Jan 21 at 17:17

Signing up for a service that pulls you from direct mail lists is also a good idea. Not only will you be helping to save the environment, but you’ll also be limiting (if not eliminating) the opportunity for someone to steal your mail and subject you to fraud.

[Reply]

6. ID-Alvin
    Jan 22 at 15:09

Hello Scott! I agree with you and we would be doing our part to help the environment. To opt-out of the consumer credit reporting industry’s pre-approved marketing offer lists for five years or indefinitely, call 1-888-567-8688 or go online to https://www.optoutprescreen.com

[Reply]

Note: ProtectMyID.com takes your privacy seriously. In order to post comments on this Blog Site you will be required to provide your name and email address for verification purposes only. This information will not be shared, sold or used for marketing purposes. Confidential, private or credit information should not be posted to this Blog Site at any time. Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to post comments to this Blog Site.